½ tbsp vegetable oil
400 ml coconut milk
2 tbsp fresh lime juice, or lemon juice
500 ml chicken stock
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp fish sauce
250 g yellow wheat noodles, or egg noodles
500 g uncooked de-veined prawns, with tails on, fresh or frozen
80 g bean sprouts
a generous handful of coriander leaves, salt, to taste
chilli seasoning, (powder or flakes) to taste
For the Laksa paste:
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 onion, chopped
40 ml coconut milk
1/2 tbsp ginger, chopped
2 clove garlic, crushed
15g lemongrass, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and roughly chopped
1 tbsp shrimp paste
1. Put the ingredients for the Laksa paste into a blender or food processor and whiz to a paste.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the Laksa paste for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, stock, lime or lemon juice, sugar and fish sauce.
4. Bring the soup to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Cook the noodles (put in a pan of hot boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes), drain under cold water to get rid of starch and help keep the noodles springy.
6. Stir the prawns into the soup and simmer until they change colour and are cooked through.
7. Add the bean sprouts and coriander leaves, then salt and chilli seasoning to taste.
8. Divide the noodles evenly among the bowls and ladle over the soup.
This recipe is also great with chicken & any other type of fish