Frozen Espresso Zabaglione
- 6egg yolks
- 6tablespoons sugar
- 3/4cup espresso
- 2tablespoons Cognac
- Cocoa powder and powdered sugar, for serving (optional)
- Put egg yolks in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add sugar and whisk together for a minute, until frothy. Whisk in espresso and Cognac, then place bowl over double boiler. (For a makeshift double boiler, put 3 inches of water in a saucepan approximately the same size as bowl. Put the saucepan on stove, bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to a rapid simmer.)
- Whisk rapidly until egg yolk mixture is warmed through. Continue whisking as the mixture begins to thicken. After 2 minutes or so it should have doubled in volume and have the consistency of softly whipped cream. Remove from heat and whisk for a minute more.
- Pour custard into individual demitasse cups or into a serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Top with a dab of whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder and powdered sugar if desired.