Isaacs Prawn Laksa
• ½ tbsp vegetable oil
• 400 ml coconut milk
• 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, or lemon juice
• 500 ml chicken stock
• 1/2 tsp brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp fish sauce
• 250 g yellow wheat noodles, or egg noodles
• 500 g uncooked de-veined prawns, with tails on, fresh or frozen
• 80 g bean sprouts
• a generous handful of coriander leaves
• salt, to taste
• chilli seasoning, (powder or flakes) to taste
For the Laksa paste:
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 40 ml coconut milk
• 1/2 tbsp ginger, chopped
• 2 clove garlic, crushed
• 15 g lemongrass, roughly chopped
• 1 red chilli, seeded and roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp shrimp paste
1. Put the ingredients for the Laksa paste into a blender or food processor and whiz to a paste.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the Laksa paste for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, stock, lime or lemon juice, sugar and fish sauce.
4. Bring the soup to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Cook the noodles (put in a pan of hot boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes), drain under cold water to get rid of starch and help keep the noodles springy.
6. Stir the prawns into the soup and simmer until they change colour and are cooked through.
7. Add the bean sprouts and coriander leaves, then salt and chilli seasoning to taste.
8. Divide the noodles evenly among the bowls and ladle over the soup.
This recipe is also great with chicken & any other type of fish